This section describes how owner operators obtain and retain a Certificate of Recognition (COR).
To obtain and retain a Certificate of Recognition owner operators must:
- Have an active WorkSafeBC Account.
- Successfully complete training on individual safety programs and program review.
- Pass a certification audit.
- Complete maintenance audits as required.
- Complete recertification audits as required.
- Owner Operators must be doing business with fewer than three employees including themselves.
- Reference: Employer Registration
Owner Operator Training
- The owner operator must complete a course of training on safety program contents and become qualified to evaluate their records and safety activities.
- Following training, owner operators will evaluate their operations to determine their degree of compliance with the elements of the Owner Operator Self Evaluation form.
- Any shortfalls or gaps in compliance with the audit tool should be addressed prior to submitting the Self Evaluation form for review.
Maintaining the Certificate of Recognition
- Over the three year cycle of COR certification the owner operator must show evidence of a minimum of 4 hours of ongoing safety training related to their position. Training may be a single course or several shorter courses taken over the three year cycle.
- Maintenance evaluations are required at the end of the first and second year following certification.
- A successful recertification audit is required at the end of the third year following certification to retain certification.
Loss of Certificate of Recognition
An owner operator will have their Certificate of Recognition removed for the following reasons:
- They are no longer registered with SafetyDriven.
- Failure to complete a maintenance audit.
- Failure of a recertification audit.
- Failure to undertake ongoing safety related training.
- Evidence of fraudulent activity or misrepresentation in the Certificate of Recognition process.
- Any disagreement with a decision of SafetyDriven with regard to any aspect of the certification process must be communicated in writing to SafetyDriven.
- The process for filing a dispute and the steps to its resolution are described in the policy: Dispute Resolution.
Last Reviewed June 7, 2018