What is this section about?
This section describes the council’s collection, protection, and disclosure of confidential information in relation to the Certificate of Recognition (COR) program.
- The council will collect information in the course of its operations which may be considered of a confidential nature.
- The council will protect the confidentiality of the information that it collects.
- The council may disclose confidential information under limited circumstances.
- This policy applies to staff of the SafetyDriven™ (TSCBC), external contractors of the council, and external auditors certified by the council.
- This policy applies to information in the custody or control of the council or anyone working on behalf of the council.
- This policy applies to information gathered in the course of administering the Certificate of Recognition program. This may include information gathered during the training and education of COR program participants, the participation of organizations in the COR program, and the auditing of organizations for COR certification.
- In the course of administering the Certificate of Recognition program the SafetyDriven™ (TSCBC) will collect or generate information about organizations and individuals who are participating in the program. This will include general information about organizations covered by the council’s mandate as well as information regarding the safety programs of specific organizations. General information regarding auditors, and specific information regarding their auditor training and auditing performance will be collected and generated through the council’s activities.
- Consent for the council to retain this information is implicit in the participation of the organizations and individuals in the COR program.
- All such information collected for the purpose of supporting the Certificate of Recognition program is only to be used for the purposes of the program or related programs administered by the council.
Information Considered Confidential
- With the exception of the information identified in this policy as not being of a confidential nature all information regarding organizations and individuals collected by the council in the administration of the Certificate of Recognition program is considered confidential.
- Information which is considered confidential is not to be disclosed to anyone who is not the subject of the information or is not acting within the scope of the council’s business.
Information Not Considered Confidential
- The following items of information regarding the Certificate of Recognition program are not confidential, and are publically available:
- Whether or not a firm holds a current Certificate of Recognition.
- Whether or not a person is an external auditor in good standing.
- The information collected and retained by the council in the administration of the COR program will be disclosed if the council receives a legal order for such disclosure. In addition, such information will be disclosed following a written request from:
- The person or organization who is the subject of the information.
- The Workers’ Compensation Board of British Columbia.
Date: December 1, 2013
Last Reviewed January 11, 2018